Saturday, December 12, 2009

Friday


exam tomorrow. gonna fill out those "bubble" sheets like they made us do from time to time in highschool. woo.
watts and power watts and power watts and power, golf, tango, oscar. charlie! PNP! BNC connector, Cathode-Grid-Anode/Plate. Section 6. 300 million. pico nano kilo mega farad henry AF amp.
bwaaaa. I'll probably update tomorrow on whether I pass or fail.


EDIT: I passed!!! hurrah! I did better than the minimum 70%, I got 80 which means I've got a few more privileges than normal. mostly just being able to use higher frequencies. I should totally celebrate with a cake. mm.

5 comments:

  1. Good Luck Ana!! =) So what happens if you get your HAM license? Can you get a job with it and stuff? Is it a recreational thing? I know nothing about this stuff! I'd love to know more! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's totally a hobby thing. I think most people only really get into it in their retirement (it can also be kind of expensive) so they can tinker with expensive gizmos and chat with local dudes. I don't think there's any jobs in it, I'm pretty sure it's purely for enjoyment and sometimes for using in emergencies when the power grid is down.
    at night there's a few changes in the earth's atmosphere that allow you to send out signals that bounce around between the earth and the atmosphere and you can reach all the way to europe. I think that's hella cool, so I want to do lots of that! mostly when you do that you just exchange call signs and sometimes send each other official postcards called QSL cards that confirm you made contact. they also talk about the weather sometimes too, haha. there's a tonne of contests for collecting cards or making contacts, which also sounds like fun times.
    so that's my explanation of HAM radio. if/when we get a station set up here, I'd show you it! we don't have anything yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heee, Sounds like funny! Ana finds straange hobbies to get into.

    ReplyDelete