Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tuesday


I'm not really sure what the next step forward should be. I've been thinking about it a lot in the last couple of days. I think what I'll be doing is writing. I want ideas, so I should make them. I complain a lot about not knowing where to start or how to write, but I don't actually sit down and try it. I just talk about it. so I'm going to see if I can just come up with plausible ideas to start with, and then (here's the crucial part) actually deliver on making them into something.
I think I might take a couple of steps backwards art-wise and do more scribbly stuff until things feel a little better. a little easier. I want to make something worthwhile, and the more I read things by different comic artists and editors, the more I realize nothing is going to just snap into place to motivate me, and that people are out there doing what I want to do on their own motivation.
And here's the final thing: what DO I want to do? how do I pursue it if I don't know even that? how do I seek advice on how to move forward if I can't answer that for people? I've been sitting around with my little dollop of talent waiting for some kind of "opportunity" to pick me up and bring me somewhere great, but honestly, that's not how it works.
I'm interested in comics and animation, and maybe even video game art. that's pretty broad. you all know how I want to do it all and try everything. however, it seems like I'm stuck doing the same one-scene things every day, or just doodling. I don't draw any comics or make anything animated, do I? I don't make finished, polished, coloured drawings, either.

What brought on this rant is reading a manga called "Bakuman" about two boys who want to become big names in the manga world in Japan. You can just feel their intensity and excitement and anguish... and that's how it should be, right? sigh.

5 comments:

  1. I am in the EXACT same boat. I'm glad you put it into words. It feels kinda nice to know you're going through it too...

    My solution? Keep doing what I'm doing, but apply for animation school. What am I doing? Less than you are! SO you are a step ahead of me, at least. =) I love your stuff, Ana, so I know it'll come together for you! (Because my opinion is the be all-end all, I know. haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno, I feel like having that direction and working towards applying for school is a few steps ahead of where I am! I'm not totally certain, but I think going back to school is the only way to get in the door for any of the industries I mentioned. I don't want to do a long distance relationship again, but.... yeah, I'm not sure what to do.
    also, I'm totally broke now. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hear you about the LDR thing. Long distance is the worst. I am making that sacrifice, however, for animation/illustration is something I feel I need this course for. I am going to have to get out a fresh loan though, so that's going to hurt my wallet a great deal! =( Money is poo! I wish there was more call for people with BFAs in this town. I don't seem to find ANY need for us, especially with NSCAD right around the corner. In this city, they're the pick of the crop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, just keep plugging away at trying to find more info on job opportunities. Be at it every day, and dont limit your self too much on where you want to go. I think the most important thing for you to do now is get a job that is in someway related to your industry. Even if its a lower end job, at least its a start, and a start is what you need. It is either that, or do what Jill mentioned, go back to school. Otherwise, you simply need to gain some confidence in your own work, which is best done through a job related to it. Everything will fall in place once you know where you want to go.

    ReplyDelete